The Abbie Shelter participated in this year's Walk the Walk event sponsored by Flathead Valley Community College. Participants walked one mile around campus to help create awareness about sexual assault prevention and bystander intervention as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Bystander intervention is an essential component in preventing sexual violence. It may be helpful to have conversations with groups in your community about effective intervention, to take time to address the fears and concerns that they may have, and to highlight the positive effects bystander intervention has on the community.
BYSTANDER STRATEGIES IN THE MOMENT
- Name or acknowledge an offense
- Point to the "elephant in the room"
- Interrupt the behavior
- Publicly support an aggrieved person
- Use body language to show disapproval
- Use humor (with care)
- Encourage dialogue
- Help calm strong feelings
- Call for help
STRATEGIES AFTER THE FACT
- Privately support an upset person
- Report the incident, with or without names
- Share resources (https://www.abbieshelter.org/get-help-1/)