If you suspect that a friend or relative is being victimized by domestic violence from an intimate partner, here are a few tips on how you can be an engaged bystander and support system for that person:
1. Become informed. Learn all you can about domestic and sexual violence.
2. Trust victims. They know their situation best, and they are capable of finding their own solutions. They need support – not someone else to tell them what to do. If you have questions, ask them without judgment or criticism.
3. Help decrease victims’ isolation by asking them to lunch or social events.
4. DO ANYTHING: Whatever you do to help a victim of domestic violence is better than doing and saying nothing.
5. ENCOURAGE THEM TO CALL THE VIOLENCE FREE CRISIS LINE. Support them as they access the community resources that can help them be safe.